What should you do next after you’ve submitted your resume and cover letter?
- Don’t follow up on a Monday! Unless they specifically asked you to call on a Monday.
- After about 1 week email the contact person to let them know you applied, are really interested, and would love to follow up more to talk with them about it. Include a link to a great article.
- If you don’t hear anything after another week, call your contact. Tell them you just wanted to see the status of the particular position that you applied for and are curious on the next steps in the hiring process.
Make sure you are making contacts at the companies for which you are applying.
Other things to keep in mind:
- Do not reach out to make contacts if you are already in the interview process. It makes the person feel awkward.
- Do not overwhelm people with your follow up.